Our roots reach back to 1936. Guy and Eva Brafford believed God had called them to start a church in Kannapolis. They first met in local homes they called cottage prayer meetings. As their numbers grew they moved into a vacant store building in North Kannapolis. Soon after they erected a small building on East 12th street complete with sawdust floors, a potbellied stove and electricity via drop cord from the next door neighbors. The church had it's first official Sunday service on August 1st 1936.
In 1938 the church moved into a new building on North Cannon Blvd. and was named, "The Kannapolis Tabernacle". K.T. was deeply committed to God's Word and prayer. Hundreds of people accepted Christ, were healed and baptized in the Holy Spirit. In 1943 a radio ministry was launched. Every Sunday morning K.T.'s services were broadcast over WHIP in Moorseville as "The Tabernacle Hour". Pastor Brafford also preached a daily broadcast over WHIP. Over the following years three churches were planted by Pastor Brafford and K.T. In 1954 the church united with the Foursquare movement and became the
Kannapolis Foursquare Church. In 1989 our name was changed to Grace Covenant Church.